Saturday, April 14, 2012

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b7/Mjollnir.png

M is for Mjollnir


In Norse Mythology, (my theme for the A-Z challenge), Mjollnir was the mighty hammer that was made by the clever dwarves Brokk and Eitri, for Thor to protect Asgard and fight giants. It was an effective weapon against the hard skulls of the giants and rarely failed to deliver.

On one occasion Thor's hammer collided with the hone of the vengeful giant Hrungnir. Hrungnir was killed instantly but a piece of the hone was imbedded into Thor's head and the giant fell onto Thor pinning him.

Luckily, Thor's son Magni, who was three days/years old, came out to give his dad a hand and pulled the giant's body off of Thor. It is important to note that even Thor needs Mjollnir, his gauntlet glove and belt of strength to fight giants. While Magni was born with strength surpassing all the gods of Asgard.

The hone piece was never dislodged permanently but only loosened by an absent-minded witch named Groa who stopped in the middle of the job of taking the hone shard out because she was preoccupied by the homecoming of her missing husband.


Note* My theme for the A-Z challenge is Norse Mythology. Last year I did a Waldorf alphabet book which can still be found on this website under April 2011 postings.

6 comments:

DL Hammons said...

THOR was one of my favorite comic books growing up and now its my favorite movies from the Avenger collection! I love reading about the mythology that helped forge the stories! :)

Lynn Proctor said...

good thing he had such a strong son

Doreen McGettigan said...

I enjoyed reading through your posts. I had no idea what I was reading at first but feel educated in Norse Mythology now.
Good luck with the rest of the challenge. It is going by so fast.

mshatch said...

your kids must be having such fun with this.

Anonymous said...

Wow, having a son with that strength would be convenient!

50 foot QE said...

I haven't shown them yet. I have been writing it over spring break. They will see it on Monday and I think they'll be excited.

:)