Following the theme of Norse Mythology, Baldur is the son of Odin and Frigga. He and his wife Nanna are the embodiment of goodness and beauty. Their son Forseti is the embodiment of Justice (or truth). These are the foundational themes of Waldorf education; Goodness, Beauty and Truth.
Beauty and Beingness
I call her Beauty
Not just because she is but because
She makes me feel it.
But what is that? What does that mean, and why would it matter
Since noone can agree what beauty is.
Perhaps beauty is a sense of harmony with the beingness of that
Which elevates us.
Perhaps it doesn’t matter.
But it seems much of what surrounds us appeals to our lower nature.
The corporate “grim reaper” with eyes that shine like the glint of clean stainless steel appliances,
Or
Chat rooms and comments that solicit meaningless and sometimes violent banter
The face of George Zimmerman
And the defeated look on the faces of the parents of the child he murdered.
I prefer to spend my time focusing on those things that strike a human chord like
The feeling I got when I heard the president singing Al Green,
My students’ earnest explanations,
Or the discovery of a fairy garden made of found natural objects and magpie sparkles.
My stunning-brown-skinned daughter’s idea of beauty is a blond Disney princess and some of my students like to draw violent scenes of zombies and aliens and I am not sure at times how to respond.
But if I think about beauty enough, some of what I DO is beauty because then I am in the being-ness too,
admiring the strong, white teeth of the dead dog laying on the side of the road.
7 comments:
That was intersting. Especially your last line. How you saw possible beauty in a dead dog's teeth.
Now following you.
Shelly
http://secondhandshoesnovel.blogspot.com/
Very inspiring. Your students, and 5-year-old, are lucky to have you.
Kathleen
Living 2012
Perception is a funny thing, isn't it? Where we find beauty depends on the accumulation of all of our experiences. Great post!
Cheers, Jenn
http://www.wine-n-chat.com
It was said that as an example of Jesus' equanimity, he was able to notice beauty everywhere. My last line was taken from a story of Jesus noticing the beautiful white teeth of a dog carcass.
Are the Norse gods the ones who said they would rid us of ice giants? If so, they've done an excellent job.
Gotta love dragons! I just signed on to the A-Z challenge, nearly at the last minute, but I'm trying to visit every blog at least once.
Love your theme! I went to a Waldorf School as a kid (Seattle) and we often studied Norse Mythology.
Post a Comment