Wednesday, April 11, 2012

J is for Jormungand

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/74/Johann_Heinrich_F%C3%BCssli_011.jpg


In Norse Mythology, one of Loki's offspring is Jormungand, the Midgard Serpent or World Serpent, so named because when he was fully grown he circled Midgard (home of humans) and grasped his own tail in his mouth.

In one of the funnier Norse tales, Thor goes fishing in Jotenheim, (the dwelling region of the giants), with the giant Hymir and to show off, Thor snags Jormungand and tries to pull him onto the fishing boat. Hymir begs him to let Jormungand go, which he does.

In the play that I am writing, Thor tries to lift a giant's cat and fails to lift anything but the cat's paw off the ground. What Thor finds out later is that he actually lifted the serpent Jormungand in diguise.


Note* My theme for the A-Z challenge is Norse Mythology. Last year I did a Waldorf alphabet book which can still be found on this website under April 2011 postings.

11 comments:

Lynn Proctor said...

wow thor made a big mistake huh---sounds like a wonderful play!

Laura Eno said...

How cool! I love mythology. :)

Laura
A to Z of Immortals, Myths & Legends

Sarah Allen said...

Norse mythology is one of my favorite things :) Great post!

Sarah Allen
(my creative writing blog)

Amy Saia said...

Interesting!

Unknown said...

So Loki had an interesting offspring! Norse mythology never ceases to amaze me.

Annalisa Crawford said...

Cool theme. Mythology is referenced in so many things, and I'm usually erring on the side of ignorance!

Anonymous said...

Cool post. I didn't know Loki had children. He never really seemed the father type to me.

Lisa Campbell said...

What an original theme! I know Greek mythology really well, but Norse, not so much. Thanks for helping me out. :)

Also, I saw your comment on Michelle's giveaway and I completely understand where you're coming from. I do follow blogs, but only in sincerity. I have honestly never followed a blog just to enter a giveaway. In fact, giveaways are not usually my thing, but I love doing design and the thought of giving a blog makeover to someone who really wants it sounds like fun to me. Thanks for the honesty and I hope to see you around the blog world!

50 foot QE said...

Storytreasury,
You are right. He wasn't, hence the beastly offspring. Incidentally, Loki is able to change sexes too. And when he became a female horse when he was pranking out a giant he got pregnant. More on that when S comes out.
:)

Think Positive, Be Positive said...

Hi...I'm hopping over from the A to Z Challenge. Lovely blog...good luck with the challenge!

Donna L Martin
www.donasdays.blogspot.com

Matt Conlon said...

Awesome picture. I've always lamented that in school they taught a bit of greek and roman, but not norse.

=]V[=
The Brew Newb