Saturday, April 07, 2012

G is for Gimli

The survivors of Ragnarok will live in Gimli, the most heavenly of places on earth.

G is also for Geirrod, a foster son of Odin's who did not turn out so well.

As the tale is told, young prince Geirrod and his slightly older brother Agnar, were lost at sea and rescued by Odin and Frigga (disguised as island farmers). Both gods took one child "under their wing" and taught them all they could. When spring arrived they were sent home on a sea-worthy boat.

Through treachery Geirrod became the next heir to the throne. And Odin teased Frigga about Geirrod being the superior foster child. But Frigga was disgusted and told Odin that Geirrod was a cruel king with a terrible temper. Odin did not believe this and so he went to find out if this was true. Disguised as a begging magician, Odin comes to Geirrod's hall, is tortured and taunted and finally Odin wreaks vengeance upon him. Strangely, it was Geirrod's son Agnar, named after his brother, that showed kindness to Odin and who eventually won All-father's favor.


6 comments:

mshatch said...

I think I've heard other versions of this tale. Really love your theme. I have a great book on Norse Mythology but these posts are reminding me why I find it so interesting.

50 foot QE said...

I summed it up so may have lost something in the translation. However, I stand by my extremely learned text of Norse Myths which refers to the Prose Edda, Volsunga Saga and many more recognized eddaic poems.

S. L. Hennessy said...

Oh wow, I'm so loving your challenge theme. Gimli is one of my favorites. I love mythology - from pretty much any culture. Great post and happy A-Z blogging.

shelly said...

I love reading these myths.

Golden Eagle said...

I love learning about Norse mythology; thanks for posting this story!


The Golden Eagle
The Eagle's Aerial Perspective

Christine said...

Very interesting! I'm stopping by from A-Z, and I had to go back and find what your theme is. Great idea! I look forward to reading more!

Christine
Coffee in the Garden
In the Care of the Great Physician