
In Norse mythology, a Valkyrie (from Old Norse valkyrja "chooser of the slain") is one of a host of female figures who decides who falls and dies in battle. Selecting among half of those who die in battle (the other half go to the goddess Freya's afterlife field Fólkvangr), the valkyries bring their chosen to the afterlife hall of the slain, Valhalla, ruled over by the god Odin. There, the deceased warriors become Einherjar. They drink and toast to their comrades (and sometimes their enemies) and in the morning they rise again to battle.
Valkyries were a symbol of death and represented demi-goddesses of the slain. It was said that, if you see a Valkyrie before a battle you're sure to die. The chief of the Valkyries was the goddess Freya (Valfreyja = "Mistress of the Slain").
4 comments:
i guess people were never looking for her :)
I figured the Valkyries would be making an appearance here :)
ps is your pic supposed to be big or is the new blogger effing with your pics, too?
Well it isn't really blogger- the picture I chose is really big and I really like how the valkyries are taking over. So... I don't know.
I found this post interesting. I don't know much about Norse mythology. Thanks for stopping by my blog today!
Post a Comment