Tuesday, February 26, 2008

NOTHING IS INSIGNIFICANT

I took notes during our 2 hour "travel meeting" with our agency today.

We will meet our child on International Women's Day.
I learned the names of the caregivers who have been looking after the children; Eskidar, Askala and Theras. The names of the drivers that will be ferrying us about; Mulat and Yonas.
1$ is equal to 9.5 birr.
The agency told us to bring between 1 and 2 thousand dollars to pay for the guest house, gifts, trip to Sidama to see birth family, and shopping.
Altitude sickness may be an issue as Addis is considered high altitude.
Emailing may have to be done late at night or early morning.
I have to think of questions for Sanbate's birth family and questions for her caregivers.
Remember to bring insect repellent, 220 volt adapter, standard polaroid film, flip flops and walking shoes.

I spoke to my friend and fellow adopting mom whose daughter is all grown now. She told me to take a lot of pictures even of things we may not see as important, like the inside of a grocery store. She couldn't emphasize more this thought to keep in mind as we travel Ethiopia,
"Nothing is insignificant".


Situations

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How exciting!!

Nice to hear some of the practicalities of travel.

And, I'd love to hear more about your plans to visit the Sidama region - I'm going to visit there, too, when I travel (in two weeks!!)

50 foot QE said...

We won't know where in the region we will be travelling or when during our stay there. It depends on the birth family's logistics.

Anonymous said...

Wow- that's really exciting! I'm so happy for you! And how wonderful you have the names of your daughter's caretakers.