I publicly shamed someone. I admit it wasn't my brightest moment but it happened and I think that it meant something. About me. And shame.
First the "incident" as my daughter calls it. We were at our grocers and had just arrived back home from Maine and I was talking to my brother (on my cell phone) who had been taking care of our chickens. I spaced out and a man was angry that I was in his way in the grocery aisle. He said, "Move it dumb-ass! I am not going around you!" At first I didn't think he was talking to us and then he turned to me and said it again, "Dumb-ass!" Later, my daughter said he was talking to her at which point when I saw him again looking at us and shaking his head I said, "Were you swearing at us because we were in your way?" And then loudly, "You should be ashamed of yourself for speaking like that just because we were in your way!" Everyone turned around, including the security guy and I repeated myself, "Just because we were in his way!!!"
Shame. Do we shame others because we feel shame?
First the "incident" as my daughter calls it. We were at our grocers and had just arrived back home from Maine and I was talking to my brother (on my cell phone) who had been taking care of our chickens. I spaced out and a man was angry that I was in his way in the grocery aisle. He said, "Move it dumb-ass! I am not going around you!" At first I didn't think he was talking to us and then he turned to me and said it again, "Dumb-ass!" Later, my daughter said he was talking to her at which point when I saw him again looking at us and shaking his head I said, "Were you swearing at us because we were in your way?" And then loudly, "You should be ashamed of yourself for speaking like that just because we were in your way!" Everyone turned around, including the security guy and I repeated myself, "Just because we were in his way!!!"
Shame. Do we shame others because we feel shame?
6 comments:
I am here
I am here.
I am here.
I am here.
I'm here.
I am here.
Post a Comment