Monday, August 18, 2008





Poems from far away people



How do you share an empty house with only
gleaming marble floors
and a kitchen in which one camps
but does not cook?

There is a synthetic persian rug,
a fuschia yoga mat
and a mattress on the floor.

The child plays with clothing tags
and boxes
and cell phones
that can no longer be used.

Excitement!
The water has arrived
And the internet,
My life is saved.

We are out of formula
and worse, coffee beans.
Ah, the fascination with those
who lack the good fortune
to taste blueberries, raspberries,
ANY BERRIES!

School children pass by
in their uniforms and white sox,
elderly women in saris
laboring under heavy burdens
adjust their scarves.

What is a convection oven?
What can I bake at 250 degrees?

Two letters arrive
from overseas on the same day.
Colorful cards with long, hand-written messages enclosed.
Proof that I am here
at a 7 line address
needing 94 cents in stamps
for a letter which arrives two weeks later
at our echoing home.

Sister

Why is it

the closer I need you

the farther away you go?



It was Chicago before,

then you came back east

here first,

then New Hampshire

Boston

And California

home again



The pictures that you sent

are fading now,

day by day

Sanbate fades

to amber


I keep checking

my email

are you there yet?

Have you arrived in the land

of fables

and myths


India.



Can you get any further away?

No comments: