Lately I have come to a realization about why communication can be so difficult.
Not many really want to connect. We have all the tools in the world for "reaching out" but we prefer to sit on our computers and email at a distance. I found myself doing this today. Meeting with parents here to discuss education and to share ideas has become such a challenge because for the most part parents want one thing for themselves and another for their children. I nearly eviscerated myself trying to explain to one mom about how when a group reaches for a goal, it is necessary for everyone in the group to leave their personal desires at the door and focus on the goal, (I was not being subtle I know). I realized the best analogy would be the Goethean conversation but then she accused me of being high and mighty or not transparent enough and could I write it down in a letter for her? Maybe the following essay will help.
“Whence came you hither?” asked the golden king.
“Out of the clefts where the gold dwells,” replied the serpent.
“What is more glorious than gold?”
“Light.”
“What is more quickening than light?”
“Conversation.” From Goethe's Green Snake and the Beautiful Lily
Unless one understands what Goethe meant, one can feel disappointed at the serpent’s answer, which scarcely seems the revelation one expected. For is conversation as we know it in the Twenty First Century really more glorious than gold, more quickening than light? Hardly! We attach the term to every casual exchange, to the most idle, inconsequential chit-chat. Surely, we feel, the term must have come down in the world since Goethe’s day, suffering the severest diminution in its slide.
That this is indeed the case becomes apparent when we recall the salons of earlier centuries where great minds came together for significant talk. These occasions were of a wholly different order from our social happenings. They were disciplined, where ours are chaotic. They were built around a common purpose, mutually enriching rather than depleting. It is impossible to picture the participants in a salon all talking at once, babbling away on as many subjects as there were pairs of conversationalists present. No! Rather, the star of a theme hung over the assemblage as over a pool studded with crystals, and the responsively scintillating crystal intellects took turns voicing the reflections awakened in them.
Goethean conversations differ at least as much again from those of the salon as did the salon from today’s cocktail party. Their purpose is to call forth a fullness of spiritual life, not to stage displays of intellectual fireworks. They have nothing in common with the salon’s formal play of light points sparkling in cold starlit glitter. Instead, they strive to enter the sunward realm of living thoughts where a thinker uses all of himself as a tool of knowledge, where, in the manner of his thinking, he takes part as a creative spirit in the ongoing process of the cosmos.
For more click on
The Art of Goethean Conversation
Marjorie Spock
1 comment:
I completely agree; communication is one of, if not the most, diificult things to do effectively. I can't even count how many times I've said something that was misinterpreted. And it wasn't necessarily the fault of the listener or my own. The reason is that the message we intend to send is seldom the message we actually send because the interpretation of the message is based on what the listener has heard, his or her take on the words and meaning which might be very different from what the speaker intended.
I personally think it's a wonder anyone understands anyone else.
I wish you luck in conveying your intent to the parents.
Post a Comment