Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Upcoming talk by Elizabeth Doshi

Did you "hate" math growing up? Or does your child dislike it now? Perhaps you are wondering if it matters how math is taught in schools as long as the students "get it". Explore these questions and find out how one Waldorf teacher discovered her hidden love of math.

"Moving Mathematics: A comparative look at the teaching of mathematics in Waldorf and mainstream schools."

Date: Saturday, 17 April

Time: 2-4 pm

Venue: 72 Elite Park Ave


A teaser from my talk...

Why compare mainstream or private school math pedagogy with Waldorf school's? I am interested in exploring how children develop their relationship to their learning (in particular math). I was not fond of math as a child. Was it me or my teachers? In order to answer this we need to ask, What are the ways in which we introduce math topics and teach them? As children grow, does math teaching change? Another important perspective I need to share today is the different methods of evalutation in the public and private sector which I believe makes a profound difference in teaching, specifically the practice of testing compared to assessment. Which comes first, the test or the child? And finally I want to ask one of the most important questions, the one that becomes the hidden lesson “Each day what is being offered to the students or, what is being educated in the child?

No comments: