Field trip to the Jurong Bird Park.
We have been before but this time we went early when it was still a civilized temperature outside. And during the week the park is very quiet and peaceful.
Altho' I didn't feel entirely restful when I finished buying our admission tickets (SGD$35!) and couldn't see Booty. I calmly walked through the entrance with my tickets- they never asked where is the child for this ticket? And there she was strolling along as if she was enjoying the park solo for the day. Lecturing a 3 year old is one of the most unsatisfying pursuits and yet one feels obliged to do it in situations like these, (so that is what the child-leashes are for!) I explained to her that unless she wanted to hold my hand she would have to stay close and listen when I called to her. OK she told me. Hey Booty. Distracted looking out into space. No running off please.
We hopped on the panorail and viewed the bird habitats from way up high, got out at the African Waterfall Aviary. We hiked up to the waterfall which was lovely but Very buggy, and managed to get bitten (despite bug spray). On the way down we fed some beautiful African Starlings (Superb, Purple Glossy, Lesser Blue-eared, Wattled, Violet, Hildebrandt and Emerald) with worms in our outstretched hands. Yes! Booty did it too!
Then we took the tram back to African Wetlands. But little girl wanted to ride on the automated kiddy rides. I didn't have coins so I asked her to come with me to get some.
Eventually I got some change and she was able to ride (above) and then we cooled off in the Penguin house. On the way out she grabbed as many stuffed penguins as she could at the gift shop, (they place them there strategically). When I asked her to put them back she began to scream. You know, those shrieks that do not mean pain but rather indignation? Then we took pictures of her holding the Parrots and were just about to grab some fries and ice cream when...
she ran off again. When I saw her at a distance I called her, "C'mon Booty lets get some french fries!" but she smiled and ran in another direction and climbed onto one of the mobility scooter rentals and started pushing buttons. The staff ignored her.
At this point it was about 11:30 and we were planning on staying a bit longer but I felt that this was an opportunity for some follow through. I walked over to where she was and gently scooped her up and proceded to exit the park walking by the cow sculpture she had wanted to climb on and the cafe.
"I want some french fries mommy!"
"I am sorry but when you run away from mommy like that it means its time to go."
Screams and cries. Shrieks and Shrill imprecations!
Once we were in the cab. She started again but quieter,
"I want french fries."
"I know sweety. Maybe next time. There will always be a next time."
After she woke up from her nap,
"Can I have ice cream and french fries now mommy?"
2 comments:
Your writing these past three posts is the stuff of books. Good books. Please. Don't. Stop.
oh, that is priceless (Booty asking for icecream and french fires after her nap), made me laugh out loud! Hope you've recovered from your massage.
Post a Comment