Sunday, January 29, 2012





After putting my beauty booty to bed I decided to spend the rest of the evening with PJ Harvey. I listened to Terri Gross' interview from last year and downloaded "Let England Shake" which is brilliant and devastating. This is an album about war, death, beauty, country loyalty, home and is a big departure from much of Harvey's previous work in that it seems like she has moved beyond the personal and into the inspired.

War photographer, Seamus Murphy directed 12 short films to accompany the songs on the album.

Here are PJ Harvey's words:


"Death was everywhere,
in the air
and in the sounds
coming off the mounds
of Bolton's Ridge.
Death's anchorage.
When you rolled a smoke
or told a joke,
it was in the laughter
and drinking water
it approached the beach
as strings of cutters,
dropped into the sea and lay around us.

Death was in the ancient fortress,
shelled by a million bullets
from gunners, waiting in the copses
with hearts that threatened to pop their boxes,
as we advanced into the sun
death was all and everyone.

Death hung in the smoke and clung
to 400 acres of useless beachfront.
A bank of red earth, dripping down death
now, and now, and now
in the air
and in the sounds
coming off the mounds
of Bolton's Ridge.
Death's anchorage.
Death was in the staring sun,
fixing its eyes on everyone.
It rattled the bones of the Light Horsemen
still lying out there in the open

as we, advancing in the sun
sing "Death to all and everyone.""

8 comments:

mshatch said...

wow. I guess I know what my next musical purchase should be. That was amazing.

Unknown said...

Making the rounds and saying hello to other ABC ers. Nice to meet you, and I am looking forward to spending more time here soon. Your newest follower, Siv

Unknown said...

Starting early on the rounds from A to Z too. Lovely poem. I am looking forward to reading more.

Karen Jones Gowen said...

Hi! I'm visiting blogs from the A to Z Challenge sign up. Very intense poem! It really made me stop and think.

KarenG

Shannon Lawrence said...

Very intense. Those words tell quite the succinct story. Thanks for sharing!

Shannon at The Warrior Muse, co-host of the 2012 #atozchallenge! Twitter: @AprilA2Z

Misha Gerrick said...

Sounds like an epic album. :-D

Yadin Bromberg said...

Nice post! I just came across your blog via the A-Z Challenge and I can't wait to read your posts! I now follow you :)

Please check out my blog over at yadinbromberg.blogspot.com

Good luck throughout the month!
Cheers!
-Yadin

Anonymous said...

Stopping by from the A to Z Challenge to say hello! If you're participating its not too late to start with B tomorrow. Have a great weekend, or what's left of it.