... the best husband in the world, at least according to some.
Can someone please let me know what it means, "I have the best husband in the world"... because a husband put in new tiling, or supported a spouse during their degree work?
If you have the best husband in the world, period, that means every other married straight woman or married gay man has got the next best or next etc. And that kind of stinks doesn't it? To spend your life struggling and loving, tolerating and celebrating just to find out in the end that someone else got a better husband.
And if you have the best husband in the world, for YOU. Then that is sort of a mute point right? Like, of course. He is the One You chose. And that is cool and all but no need to mention it. Right?
How about,
I feel so lucky to be married to my husband! I am so happy he...
or
My husband really puts me over the edge at times but today he ...
You see for some of us, (me for example) our husbands are a trying lot. We love them every day but they are different than the husbands that hold your hand, or send you love notes or remember your birthday. They are still loveable and they still deserve merit.
Who else in the world is going to ask you to step up to the plate and make an effort even if your team is down. Even if your team has been down for years, and everyone knows it. The fact that you got up and stepped up is a mighty inspiring thing and your husband has been the one to give you this opportunity.
How about "My husband has a job that is eating him alive but he won't quit because he believes he is providing for his family in the best way he can."
How about "My husband is depressed and doesn't talk to me but I know that it isn't my fault and that going through hard times like these is not uncommon. I also know in time things will look differently. I am thankful that my husband trusts me enough to stay despite how he feels."
I guess how I would put it is,
I may not have the best husband in the world, but he is my husband. And I don't need you to appreciate this.
4 comments:
This will surely work wonders with the H.
I think when people say this what they really mean is, 'boy, I am sure appreciating my honey right now..' It's kind of like when I used to say,'I have the best dog in the world.' Maybe he is the best dog, and maybe he's not. But he's the best dog right now for me. Of course, that's not the case right now with my current dog...but I digress. Maybe what it is is, we all have exactly what we need right now so in essence, it is the best. And it's great when we can recognize the fact. Does that make any sense?
All you have said is clear and true. But there is always the other side of things and that side is rarely celebrated or recognized.
My daughter is extremely lovely most of the time and there are days when I believe she is far superior to other children. But to announce it is to degrade the experience of the parents with difficult, or disabled or sick children.
Just so with a husband. Some husbands make life really easy and we get, "just what we need". But there are many more husbands who are struggling to do their best and it may not even show.
I wanted to write a post in my blog about how there are other criteria for people- and that one may not see the hidden gem if one is always thinking things need to be the way we want or expect them especially considering what we hear in the media of what is "the best".
I think I'm hearing what you are saying. Although, I rarely identify anything as "the best...". It never made much sense to me. Clearly, nobody's husband is the Best. And, from where I stand, only a few husbands are much good at all. But, if we are going to sign on to this marriage thing, we have to be holistic about it. I know I'm not a great wife a lot of the time. Why would I expect my husband to be the best. In fact, if I can articulate the other side of "the best husband in the world", as in "my husband really pissed me off today, but he has some deep wounds that are sore right now", then there is a better possibility that I can muster up some patience and support to keep our joined lives moving forward.
Post a Comment