Tuesday, August 31, 2010

The Youth Olympic Games are over and I am afraid I don't have anything to say about it. I wasn't really interested partly because the focus here in Singapore always seems to be about children performing, competing and "winning" instead of being children. That said, when I was working as a teacher in my homeland, every year in spring marked our school's annual Greek Olympic Games, a Fifth Grade event.

As part of their study of ancient Greek history and mythology, the entire class organizes a pentathlon of events and has the opportunity to spend the day with their counterparts from Waldorf’s sister schools. The 5th graders from the schools mix into Greek city states and offer music, poetry and dance in addition to the athletic events. Recognition in these events is given for grace and form as well as for speed or distance.

Now couldn't the Youth Olympics do something like this? Offer a world view of cultures? Recognize grace, good sportsmanship and form?

1 comment:

mshatch said...

wouldn't that be nice. Or how about an award for effort? Or sportsmanship? It's too bad it's all about winning rather than how you play.