Wednesday, May 05, 2010




When I went to long Kreeya today (breathing meditation with Art of Living fellows) I was followed into the building by a short old man with a beard and a fez. He asked me a question which I didn't understand as I pressed the elevator button. He seemed lost. He pointed up and I said, "Art of Living meditation" which he didn't understand but as I had put my hand gently on his shoulder he put his hand on my waist and then before I knew it he was patting my butt. I (again) gently pulled his hand away. And as the empty elevator door opened I quickly asked myself if I could hold my own with this guy, yes. I waved him in first. I wasn't going to fall for that again. As we rode up he asked his question again and again I didn't understand so again (he he) I said, "Art of Living meditation". "Meditation!" he smiled and I got off the elevator.

My friend at meditation seemed shocked to see my short hair. I cut it again last week. It is funny how differently people from the east react to short hair on women. Why did you do it???!!! Like there was some sort of drastic reason. I like my hair super short. I am also aware that I look very masculine with short hair so I try to wear make up and dress a little nicer. But I certainly didn't cut my hair to shock or offend anyone. People from the US and from Europe don't seem to be affected by it. I know I am generalizing but I had short hair in Chicago for many years and it was never an issue. Well, except for my mum. She does not like it short.

2 comments:

Kali Om said...

Apparently your elevator-mate approves of short hair! What a drag, that such men (gropers) are everywhere - even in a temple outside of Mysore. In the US there seems to be less groping and more yelling of "Bitch!" or "Lesbian" from the safety of the car. Cowards, all of 'em.

50 foot QE said...

Actually, I was wearing big sunglasses and a large brimmed muslim lady hat that covers my head and back of neck.

Yes. Cowardly to call from a car and as I recall that was so common in Chicago.

Sad.