Sunday, September 27, 2009

On Friday I sat down to read the International Herald Tribune (international version of New York Times) and found this article:

Oil Industry Sets a Brisk Pace of New Discoveries
By JAD MOUAWAD
Published: September 23, 2009

“The oil industry has been on a hot streak this year, thanks to a series of major discoveries that have rekindled a sense of excitement across the petroleum sector, despite falling prices and a tough economy.”
Loudly my mind shouted out,
“Yay!!!” sarcastically of course and while sarcasm won't help the planet or the innumerable creatures on the earth who are affected negatively from drilling I must ask,
How can this still be something people get excited about?

Some of our dear friends who live in India work for Shell so maybe I should just shut up but...
the article just goes on and on about how great it is and how the planet has SO MUCH more oil and we shouldn't have to worry for a LONG time about running out.

Sigh.

Read more on the New York Times archive:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/24/business/energy-environment/24oil.html?_r=1

Also of interest to me was the story about a Buffalo Bills' cornerback's lawn getting vandalized by 2 angry fans after he fumbled a kickoff return in the last minutes of the game. Click on Professional Sports Hall of Bad Behaviour. With fans like these, who needs to worry at all about any opposing teams? The message being, you are our machine and you will be unplugged and put away if you do not work. Luckily, these unfortunate 16 year olds (who did the deed) have the benefit of doing some community service. I hope they will be placed somewhere appropriate, like helping people with physical disabilities or children who have been bullied. C'mon! This is exactly why I cannot stomach pro sports. When competition denies humanity I am gone.

Oh, and by the way those stupid surgical masks that I see EVERYWHERE in Singapore don't do anything to protect against illness. So states a study just published by Raina MacIntire, and her colleagues at University of New South Whales in Sidney. You have to buy the expensive N95 masks which fit better if you want a better chance at reducing the spread of the flu (75%).

Also in the news are reports that China is threatening to cut off imports of American chicken. China just recently launched an investigation in response to complaints that American chicken products are being dumped in China and are unfairly benefiting from subsidies, adding to a string of trade disputes (see tire tariff)with Washington. But not to worry, "We have these jumbo, juicy paws the Chinese really love," so says american Paul W. Aho, a poultry economist and consultant (?)and I guess that means these "chewy chicken feet" may settle the issue. Apologies to my vegetarian friends.

I have been watching 30 Rock. On HomePal, my "netflix". Just remember, we don't have television here and I am American Culture poor. So, without apologies here is my review.

I don't know what it is but Alec Baldwin who ALWAYS plays the crazy, corporate boss ***hole, is back to his usual tricks but on this show he is silly and fun to watch and Tina Fey is strangely like a hip version of one of my siblings. So. For a non-cable network show I think 30 Rock is excellent. While all the characters are well-developed, I find it odd that the Jenna character was originally supposed to be played by Tina Fey's bud Rachel Dratch who now plays many small (intense) roles on the show. Ms. D should have a bigger role.

In my Rental Queue are Ponyo, Vicki Christina Barcelona and Slum Dog. These are movies I have been wanting to see for a while.

I am trying a new format to get me to be more disciplined in posting now that I have some time in the afternoons to write.

Monday is news and reviews.
Tuesday is parenthood, adoption and Ethiopia.
Wednesday is Waldorf Education and Art of Living.
Thursday is life in Singapore.
Friday is photo day.
Saturday and Sunday are my creation days, (days I share things I have made).

No comments: