Saturday, April 11, 2015

Spring mess


This spring I am planting my seeds in starter boxes first and then putting them in the garden. I dug two rows (with Lulu's expert help no kidding) for the sugar snap peas and then I will trellis and replant in the front garden. In addition I have started cabbage, kale, 3 different lettuces, cosmos, sweet peas and morning glories (of course).

We now have 50 baby chicks living in the garage room in the basement. Road Island reds, black austrolorps, buffingtons and a brown striped breed with which I am not familiar. Only one death very early on. Today one of the austrolorps flew up to the top of the lowest cage.

Our grown layers are doing well and generously giving an egg each day. Timma continues to escape almost every day but never strays too far.

I have 3 students at the language academy and 4 active programs at my consulting job. But $ is trickling in and I have other things I am more interested in here in the village.

I have been actively participating (on behalf of the Ecovillage) in the efforts of purchasing a property on the corner of 8th. All I can say now about it is, given particular circumstances, this purchase could have an extremely positive effect on the village and the community in general. We are still negotiating and I am very eager to see how it turns out.

The CSA (of which I am the coordinator) had a lovely open house last month and Nathan (our friend and head farmer) is busy getting the season underway. We will have orientation in a few weeks and then plant sales and then the season begins with shares in the middle of May.

Nathan started planting in January! He has a "wicked" effective system of heating the flats with water lines which run from a water heater. He is a very inspiring friend.

My Waldorf friend Kate (who happens to be Nathan's wife) just finished her week long camp "strengthening the will" with farm work.



She had older children as mentors with the groups. And adults guiding the activities. This is the kind of work she imagines we could do someday given the right preparation and a group who wanted a farm school in an urban setting. It has all the right ingredients for a pilot program that could innovate schools globally.

1 comment:

50 foot QE said...

45 out of 50 adolescent chickens gone. thanks to a weasel.