Friday, February 13, 2009






Packaging is different here for some things like to go food, and milk. Yesterday we ordered some idli to go for Sanbate. The chutney and sambar were put in bags and the idlis were wrapped in large leaves and then newspaper with string. Milk comes in a bag here. Pouring it can be a challenge so you have to snip a tiny hole in the corner and hold it tight until you are ready and aimed to pour. I have spilled a lot of milk since arriving in India.

Note* Here are three definitions of Toned Milk:

Wiki.answers.com-
Toned Milk is heated to 900c. for 15 seconds. It is then homogenized to reduce the size of its fat globules. Then vitamins are added to milk. After pasteurisation and homogenization it is cooled to 40c.

Encyclopedia.com-
Toned milk is dried, skim milk added to a high‐fat milk such as buffalo milk, to reduce the fat content but maintain the total solids.

Dr.NDTV.com-
Toning can be defined as the addition of the constituted skimmed milk to whole buffalo milk so as to reduce the fat to 3%.

It tastes skim. Buffalo milk is very rich and tasty. We were able to get it easily in Bombay but no on seems to know how to get it here. I should probably keep asking.

1 comment:

Corinne said...

Elizabeth! I am so excited to find you blogging...I had no idea you'd been blogging for so long! I've linked yours to mine at mayasmercato.com....hope you are doing okaydokey! love C